Built for the inaugural race in October 2011, the Buddh International Circuit east of New Delhi has room for 130,000 spectators, in addition to a huge amount of motorhomes, trucks and other gear. The circuit itself is one of the fastest in the world. On the long main straight cars can reach speeds in excess of 320 km/h, while the average speed for a single lap of the 5.125 km long circuit is over 200 km/h.
Grundfos as a trusted partner
Many parties were involved in the design, planning and construction of the circuit. Several teams were consulted before construction began and the track design was tested in factory simulators to optimise e.g. overtaking. Grundfos was also involved as a preferred partner to provide comprehensive pumping solutions for the circuit and the facility as a whole. No less than 194 Grundfos pumps are installed in a wide-range of applications around the complex.
"Drawing on their experience and know-how, Grundfos India worked closely with the consultants, contractors, project mangers and customer throughout the design and construction process."
Drawing on their experience and know-how, Grundfos India worked closely with the consultants, contractors, project mangers and customer throughout the design and construction process. This process lasted more than a year, but the dedicated efforts of all involved ensured that the optimum pumping solutions were installed.
No less than 194 Grundfos pumps are installed in a wide-range of applications around the complex.
The 194 pumps were sourced from many of the applications included in Grundfos’ full-range of pumps and pumping solutions, including HVAC, pressure boosting, water transfer, circulators and dosing pumps. These include:
• HVAC: A total of 16 NKG end suction pumps were supplied. Grundfos NKG pumps are non-self-priming, single-stage, centrifugal volute pumps designed for use in HVAC and other demanding environments
• Water Transfer: More than 90 Grundfos pumps are installed to handle water transfer and other operations
• Wastewater: 16 AP pumps for wastewater and sewage applications
• Dosing: 33 DMB dosing pumps and installation kits for water treatment and dosing
• Disinfection: A Conex DIS-P measurement and control system with preassembled systems for disinfection using chlorine dioxide
• Drainage: KP 250 and 350 submersible pumps for drainage of rainwater and stormwater
• Fire protection: A total of 6 CRCM pumps installed in fire protection systems
The circuit was constructed by Jaypee Sport International (JPSI). The German architect and racetrack designer Herman Tilke designed the circuit. The project was handled by Sanelac Consultants, a leading MEP (Mechanical, Electrical & Plumbing) consultant from New Delhi, who worked closely with Grundfos India.